George Lee Snider arrived in Bakersfield, CA from Quincy, FL in November 1896 with only $16 in his possession. After working for Kern County Land Company and Southern Pacific Shops, George decided to open a bicycle shop.
Kern Cyclery was opened in 1904 and sold bicycles, phonographs, and photography supplies. Snider's went on later to carry an additional kind of bike—Harley Davidson's.
- 1875—George L. Snider born in Carthage, Missouri
- 1896—George L. Snider arrives in Bakersfield with $16
- 1904—Kern Cyclery opens in basement under First Bank of Kern
- 1932—George L. Snider retires, Lloyd C. Snider takes over at age 28
- 1948—George L. Snider passes away one day before grandson is born
- 1975—Lloyd Snider retires and James Snider takes over shop
- 2001—Baker shop location burns down
- 2003—Snider's opens a Union Avenue shop location in Bakersfield
- 2004—Snider's Cyclery celebrates it's 100th anniversary